Thursday 30 May 2013

Day 18. The End of The West Highland Way.

Well, that is The West Highland Way long distance path completed. Very good it was too! The weather for all but one of the 7 days was very good indeed. It rained all day from Tyndrum to Inverarnan, though it stopped as we were nearly there - obviously.

95 miles of one of the best paths you will find anywhere in the world, officially - so i've been told. I wouldn't disagree. Next time I will do it in late winter or autumn, the other way, the way most people do it. I know the route now, and will very much enjoy doing it in 5 days instead of 7, stopping at my favourite places! (ale, service, food - my prerequisites!)

To today's little dawdle, 12 miles from Drymen to Milngavie (pronounced Milguy). It started in very light drizzle which stopped quickly to leave another very warm day with pretty much unbroken sunshine. We left Glenalva guesthouse at 9.45
 
after a very pleasant overnight stop at Alison Fraser's very well kept and comfortable place.
Alison is another very good hostess, providing excellent accommodation and food for the weary walker. I would thouroughly recommend Glenalva to anyone wanting to stay in Drymen, it being only a short walk from the pubs and shops in the centre of the small, picturesque village.
 

 
The walk to Milngavie was largely through flat farmland, pleasant enough but a little boring compared to the last couple of weeks. I won't complain too much though, as much urban walking is too come (yuk). Above left, though, is the delightful little Craigallan loch, which is just shy of Mugdock country park, a mere 10 miles from Glasgow city centre. Oh yes, a city plod to come on Saturday! I am looking forward to getting through the urban areas quickly, and into the more rural South Lanarkshire as we head towards Gretna and a sad farewell to beautiful Scotland. If the Scots will allow me, I'll be back soon enough. The friendliness and hospitality of just about everyone in this great land is truly wonderful.
 
12 miles walked today, total 292. Nearly a third done...
 
Alec Hawkes  Milko on Walkabout 30.05.13
 
p.s. please donate to my chosen charities if you can, go to
 
 
to see who I am trying to support with this walk. Thank you!

No comments: